Cyber Security Day 4: Understanding Layered Security & Defence in Depth


HELLO FRIENDS!!

WELCOME TO MY CYPHER LOG

Successfully I have learned continuously for three days without any procrastination and I am just feeling proud of myself, 
I hope you guys too learn continuously without any distractions.

Ok let's see what I have learned today,

   In the last blogs we have seen about security controls in this blog we are going to dive into depth of defence in cyber security and also there is an architecture called zero trust, let's see how it works.

Defence in depth

   Security controls are just a single safety measure to prevent an attack but defence in depth are not like that as we can understand with the name itself it's controlling structure which will protect the asset from an attack layer by layer. And it has five layers. 
If a company hosts a website they won't just rely on a single layer of security like five layers of controls
Layer 1 is an external firewall that will automatically block the IP address which looks suspicious to them as we program.
Layer 2 web application firewall and it will automatically filter out the malicious traffic in the web to prevent attacks.
Layer 3 Operating system firewall unlike others it only allows the curated and specific ports to communicate with their applications.
Layer 4 Host based Anti-Virus, it will scan the files in the server for safety measures .
Layer 5 File permissions, unlike the other layers here, only specific ports like admin can read the database.
This is how the whole 5 layers works to protect data from theft.

Ok move in to the next topic which is an Zero trust architecture

You may think I only know about building architecture which will be the zero trust architecture, actually I thought that so I will make it clear to you .
If we want to know about zero trust architecture we need to time travel to past years because cyber security operates on a "castle and moat model for decades", and it is also called as an perimeter security, but it won't work properly for modern attacks so they have switched to zero trust architecture.
 To make it more simple our mom would always say don't trust anyone when you go out that's the base of zero trust architecture and it also works under the base "never trust always verify".

It also has 3 core principles

The first one is verify explicitly 

it always  authentication and Authorization based on  all available points like if an employee from a company work from home, the control system will automatically checks their laptop have malicious attacks happened to make their data secure.

The second one is least privilege access 

    If an new employee hired in a company they would get the access based on their role because for safety precautions organisation use this by this they can protect their data.

And the last one is assume breach 

     Always stay alert like an hacker already entered in our network by assuming like this we can be alert and precautious, so organisation use this technique.

So that's all guys today's lesson 
I have tried to explain based on how I understood it so I hope you guys too understood it, let's see in another interesting blog.

If you want study guide for this topic you can get through this site

                                     THANK YOU

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2: Understanding the CIA Triad, AAA

Cryptography Basics: Encryption Types & Hashing Explained